its always ourselves we find in the sea"
-e.e. cummings
"You have to respect the sea!"
- Ross Ghellar
I didn't grow up by the sea. I rarely even visited as a child, but when I met Alex, it was eye-opening and now, I get it. I had hopes as a new bride that we would always live by the sea, but Alex's Naval Career actually took us elsewhere, and here we are - far far away from anything that could be remotely called a beach or the sea.
For Alex, it is in his blood, the love of the ocean. As much as I love the ocean, notsomuch in my blood. I pray that my children inherit this love and identity from their father - after all, they are one-fourth Norwegians...True Vikings, these little ones - hopefully without the rape and pillage part.
So, my favorite activity in Connecticut was our visit to the beach. We went twice and would have stayed longer if the sun wasn't so rudely slipping below the horizon, denying us its light.
For a Texas girl, like me, most familiar with the beaches of the Gulf of Mexico, the New England beaches are shocking. They are rocky and hurt your feet to walk barefoot in the sand. Upon our first visit to Cape Cod, I told Alex that I just didn't understand the mindset of the Kennedy clan. They had all that money -could have gone anywhere - yet they chose to summer in Cape Cod? For awhile, I didn't even really qualify Cape Cod as a beach - so rough on my feet, so uncomfortable it was to stretch out on a towel. But now, (I'm more mature, you see) I have realized that the South Padre sand I loved so much in my twenties is not what makes the beach magical. It is the ocean. The yawning depth, teeming with life and mystery, the waters that existed even before land, (I could go on)...That is what makes the beach magical.
So, rocky as it is, the Connecticut shoreline is still a fantastic, awe-inspiring place. And, honestly, we had a blast. Here are some pics from the first beach trip: (I guess when I say some, I should elaborate...almost 30!)
Unsure...
Exploring
Picking the perfect rock...
And...release!
Playing in the sand
More digging/racetrack building
About as close as she would venture alone...
Putting our feet in (It was unseasonably warm - like in the 70's but the water was still freezing!)
Venturing out
Cooper would have seriously swam if we had let him. He was so disappointed when we told him we hadn't brought his swimsuit...
Melody was not a fan of putting her feet in...
Sand Castle Time
Our stretch of beach
Melody's feet
These are my two faves...
Sorry about the plumber shot, but I love them picking out the perfect rock.
Throwing (off subject, but man, this kid has some beautiful hair!)
Cooper yelling "Booyah!"
No comments:
Post a Comment