Well, here we are, another Friday night.
Friday nights are the best - even when you are stuck at home with two sleeping babies all alone.
Even when you don't have cable and you are still waiting on the next House DVD to arrive at the library.
Even when you have piles and piles of laundry to fold and wash.
Even when you have piles and piles of dirty dishes to wash (but not to fold, thankfully)
Even when you are procrastinating starting preparations for breakfast tomorrow.
Even when you are still all dressed up and haven't put on your pajamas yet.
Even when you are rehashing the day and early evening and self-analyzing your parenting performance of the day and coming up short.
Even when you haven't worked out in two weeks.
Even when you have eaten half a mason jar of candy corn in two weeks.
Even when you wish with all your soul that you had some Reese's Peanut Butter Cups in the house.
Even when you don't have a cell phone, so you can't text your husband to stop at the store and get some Reese's Peanut Butter Cups...
Even when you realize that you have NO plans for tomorrow and are stuck with the rugrats for the WHOLE LONG day, and what the heck are you going to do for 10 hours to keep them from destroying the apartment, the world, the universe?
Especially when you run out of reasons why this Friday night stinks and start to focus on the good things in your life:
*Both kids are asleep
*You have the house to yourself
*You have food in your tummy & a roof over your head
*You have a husband who loves you and wishes he were home with you right now
*You can say the above with confidence
*You have indoor plumbing
*You honestly could go on and on, but wish to start enjoying the house to yourself.
I will always have great memories from Friday nights at our house, growing up. Honestly, my parents were pretty beat from a week of full-time work, full-time home maintenance, full-time parenting, and any other full-time adult responsibility that you can think of, so there were no formal "Family Night" plans. But, who needs formal plans? I still remember the fun family times that we spent together. When I was young, we'd sometimes order pizza (not always - that was a special treat) and watch TGIF. Those were the days of Full House, Steve Urkle (Don't remember the name of that sitcom!) and Step by Step. There was always a fourth one on the lineup, but apparently that one never made an impact on me, b/c I don't remember it at all. We would watch all four sitcoms in a row, laughing together, with popcorn and, of course, my mom asleep on the couch - she was too tired, she just couldn't hang!
During the fall, Friday nights meant HS Football games. Nothing beats a good Texas, 5A high school football game. Even when I was very young (like 8 or 9 - which seemed Very Grown Up) my dad would take me to watch the Judson Rockets play. I LOVED being a part of that crowd - everyone cheering on the team. Seriously, I'm channeling the Beach Boys - "Be true to your school..."
When I was even more Very Grown Up (High School age) I'd go to the football game with friends, and we'd all go to Jim's Restaurant after the game. In the non-fall, we'd have sleepovers and play ridiculous silly games of truth or dare (I'm thinking of one silly game in particular...)
And of course, as I was the most Very Grown Up (20s, out of college), Friday nights meant Happy Hour after work, staying at some restaurant on the patio with friends until it was dark, and a weekend of freedom from work and junior-high kids (although, truth is, many Saturday mornings were spent at school prepping for the next week)
Now that I am me - Just Grown Up Enough, and sometimes Not Enough Grown Up - Friday nights (especially cool, autumn ones) are something to look forward to. There is no TGIF, rare HS football games, and definitely no lazing around on some restaurant patio drinking margaritas and hanging out with friends! But, I still hope someday that my kids feel the magic of Friday nights - be it TV watching with mom & dad, football games, or even a drink on a patio (after they've reached legal age, of course!). Until then, I'm happy to let them sleep while I enjoy my Friday night with a cup of tea and Downton Abbey, because for me, it still is a little magical and special, even without the same diversions as in my childhood.
I had to write this down - I remember one particular Friday night that Valerie and I went to SFA's Free Movie Night. It was Friday the 13th and of course, the movie they showed was...Friday the 13th. I'll always remember walking across campus with Valerie back to the dorm being scared out of MY GOURD. That was one memorable Friday night!
Well, good night, everyone - enjoy your Friday night, and your whole weekend!
No comments:
Post a Comment