I love to cook. I love to menu plan at least a week in advance. I love to try and make sure that what I am cooking is seasonal, and also on sale.
Tonight, I didn't do any of those things. Well, I guess I cooked. But I didn't love it.
Today was Pajama Monday. I am thinking about instituting a Breakfast for Dinner (or Brinner, as we like to quote from Scrubs around here) on every Pajama Monday. But silly me, yesterday I was all ambitious and bought a nice filet of Steelhead Trout at the grocery store. It was either use it or throw it away, and at $7.97/lb, it was NOT going to be thrown away. But, what to do with said trout? I don't think that it would fit into my whole Brinner idea - unless you are from Norway, where it is perfectly appropriate to have fish for breakfast (Something I have learned from my Mother in Law) That probably explains the Norwegians' hardiness, attractiveness, and general health... Anyhow, I completely lacked inspiration and after cleaning all day, I was not in the mood to be in the kitchen forever cooking something my kids wouldn't eat anyways.
Sidenote: Somebody may be asking themselves, what the heck is Pajama Monday? (certainly not anyone reading this blog, b/c the only people reading this blog are two of my closest friends and my mom - they all know what Pajama Monday is) But for the random person out in the universe who is asking themselves "What is Pajama Monday?" here is the answer: It is a genius idea developed by a genius friend of mine who had to help inspire slackers like me to get off their butts and clean their houses. (Okay, maybe that wasn't the original intent of its development, but I like to pretend that Shelly had me in mind when she came up with Pajama Monday.) So here it is: You stay in your pajamas all day on Monday, cleaning your house until it is all done. You are not allowed to shower or get out of your pajamas unless your house is totally spotless. It is revolutionary for me. Some would argue that Pajama Monday has nothing to do with cleaning, and only to do with the wearing of pajamas on a certain day of the week, i.e....Monday. However, the above rules are the OFFICIAL rules of Pajama Monday. And I know that there are all these really ambitious moms who are breaking up the housework a little each day to make it more manageable - sweep on Monday, dust on Tuesday, etc...But I can't do that. I put it off ALWAYS and then it is Monday again, and nothing has been swept, dusted, vaccuumed, what-say-you... Also, who wants to look forward to cleaning a little EVERY DAY anyways? I say, just get it done and out of the way, and the whole rest of the week, you can enjoy your clean toilets and mopped floor. And, if you are REALLY ambitious, you can get a jump start on Sunday night so that you can shower before 3 PM on Monday...(But you don't have to! There is no shame in no shower on Pajama Monday!)
Sidenote Ended. Back to dinner.
Enter....Greek salad inspiration. I had tomatos, red onions, lemon juice, olives, and feta cheese on hand - so I just sprinkled a little Cavender's Greek Seasoning on the fish, poured on a little EVOO, chopped up some Romas, diced some red onions, and sliced up some kalamata olives - spread all that over the fish, sprinkled on a little feta cheese and voila - into the oven it went for about 25 minutes at 400 - 425 degrees F. Yes, I did say 400 -425. It wasn't cooking fast enough for me, so I put some foil on it and turned the heat up.
I served it with cucumbers sliced and chilled dressed with Greek salad dressing - red wine vinegar, dijon mustard, and more cavender's.
It came out yummy. Cooper didn't eat the fish (Big shocker there), but Melody was grabbing big chunks of it and stuffing it into her mouth (She is much less of a food snob) They both enjoyed the cucumbers. A light dinner, perfect for the Texas fall (which really is only a less intense summer) And, I could cruise Pinterest while it cooked, which was the real winning thing about the dinner in my book.
By the way - maybe someday I will be posting photos of my recipes or cooking efforts. That day is not today. Hello - I just cleaned my whole house today. Picking up the camera and snapping a few shots is just too much effort. Plus, I am no Ansel Adams. You're better off imagining some yummy looking pink fish bedecked with jewels of tomatos, onion and olives, with a crown of slightly browned, salty feta.
Good night, and much love from our clean house to yours!
I thought I would let you know that more than just your mom and two friends read your blog. :-)
ReplyDeleteAnd I would love to know how trout could become a Brinner dish? Trout pancakes . . . Trout omelette . . . Trout gravy over biscuits . . . Trout and hash brown bake served with eggs . . .
I also love the comment about Texas Fall. Suzi keeps saying that we should move to Texas to be closer to all our friends that moved there but I don't think I would survive summer.
Summer here is like 9 months out of the year! :) And, I think for the trout-brinner idea, you'd have to ask my mother in law, I just have memories of smelling boiling fish at breakfast time when we have stayed there in the past. Talk about the best part of waking up... We miss you guys, Alex and I are trying to figure out a time to come up to Seattle for a little vacay - when we figure that out, we'd definitely let you know (especially b/c more than likely, we'd be wanting to sleep on your couch.) Hope that everything is well!
ReplyDeleteAm I one of the two friends?
ReplyDeleteOf course (One of my attractive two friends!)
ReplyDelete