Friday, September 21, 2012

A Normal Day

Seems like all the blogs that I have been posting lately have been so heavy - really emotional, and actually very hard to write.  Today, we've had a normal day - we got up, all had breakfast together (oatmeal, yum) the kids played, Cooper watched the requisite two cartoons this morning (Berenstein Bears today), Melody followed me around as I cleaned the kitchen, gathered snacks, did my makeup, switched the diaper bag to the backpack, got dressed...Then we headed off to the zoo.  We got passes last week, and the weather has been lovely, so we thought that the zoo would be a nice change from the park.  Also, we worked on this "Under the Sea" puzzle that we have, and there is a Lionfish in the puzzle - the kids were interested to go see the Lionfish at the zoo, so that sealed the deal.  We only stayed at the zoo about an hour and twenty minutes or so - but that was enough time to see tons of monkeys, the bears, some cats (Jaguar, Fossa) the aquarium (hello, Lionfish!), the Reptile House, a Blue-Tongued Skink, the condors, and of course, the flamingos.  Oh, and we fed the fish.  Then we headed to McDonald's to meet up with some new friends and play. 

All in all, it has been the most pleasant kind of day - the house is a disaster, and I'm about to start working - I still have to get the kids' things together to spend the night at my parent's house and I didn't actually eat lunch at McDonald's, so sometime I need to fit that in.  But, as I reflect on our "normal" day, I am just touched by how blessed we are.  We have so much to be thankful for, and literally, resting in the next room are the two most precious treasures that we could ever behold. 

I have an acquaintance who has the most incredibly thankful and grateful spirit.  She has four children under five years old (on purpose!) and she is constantly an encouragement to me, because I have NEVER EVER heard her complain about the strains of motherhood.  Perhaps it is because her and her husband battled with infertility and so she truly understands the blessing of being a mother, or perhaps it is because she is significantly younger than me (I'm thinking at least 5 - 7 years) so she just has more energy to deal with the little people.  But whatever it is, as much as I'd love to hate her, it is impossible.  She is so kind and loving - such a Godly woman, and so thankful for her brood and this season of her life, all I can do is be encouraged by her attitude.  She makes me want to be a better mom, instead of making me feel like it is an impossible task set before me. 

So today, on this "normal" day - I am putting aside any stress, any anxiety, any grief or sadness over our recent move - any sense of loss or regret, any sense of anything other than joy - I'm putting it all aside and trading it for gratefulness.  Gratefulness for His blessings, but even more, gratefulness for Him.  There is a song that summarizes it.  (It will be in my head ALL day long now, I am certain!)

"I'm trading my sorrows...I'm trading my pain...I'm laying it down for the joy of the Lord.
I'll say yes, Lord, yes, Lord, yes yes Lord.  Yes, Lord, Yes, Lord, Yes Yes Lord
Yes, Lord, Yes, Lord, Yes Yes Lord Amen" 

All we have to do is say "Yes" to that joy that God freely offers - because He is constant, it doesn't matter our circumstances - our joy supersedes anything that could happen - we only have to accept it from Him.  I'll try to remember that - on this pleasant "normal" day, and on the not-so-pleasant (also) "normal" ones to come.

 



No comments:

Post a Comment