Breakfast started with a fit. A big, huge, screaming, back-arching, leg-kicking fit. The hardest thing about a son who doesn't really talk yet is that you know he wants something, but you're somewhat uncertain of what that thing is. After a series of pointing (him) and attempts at placating (me), I finally understood - He wants the spoon! So, I did what any sane parent/pushover would do - I emptied the by-now lukewarm cereal from the spoon and handed it to him. Which resulted in more back-arching and leg-kicking. I didn't understand! He wants the spoon! Does he really think that I am going to give him a spoon FULL of lukewarm cereal? Does he think that I WANT to clean cereal off the ceiling, floor, table, high chair, pajamas, face, clothes, and every other surface within flinging distance of our breakfast nook? But, again, like the pushover that I am, I relented and gave him the spoon with a tiny (TINY) amount of cereal on it, fully ready for World War III when he commenced flinging and I commenced taking it away. Nice how I set myself up for that, huh? And then, the miracle... The spoon somehow made it into his mouth. Let me say that again-I don't know if you quite understood the gravity of that statement - THE SPOON MADE IT INTO HIS MOUTH!!!
I wanted to do cartwheels and say loud "Huzzahs!" I guess that people who aren't parents don't really understand it - I think that if I didn't have kids, I would think that this post was pretty silly...I mean, eating with a spoon? Really? Not that big of a deal, lady! But, it was Cooper's first time to eat with said spoon, and of course in parent-world, all firsts are celebrated - especially those that mean less dependance on Mommy & Daddy.
So here are some pics to celebrate and document this first time of eating with a spoon, and all you non-parents are welcome to leave comments about how crazy I am for spending at least ten minutes documenting this (And all you veteran parents are welcome to leave, ahem, encouraging, comments about how this may be the first time but also probably the last time in a while for the spoon to make it in his mouth, with much flinging and ceiling - cleaning in between.)


Good Job Mr. Bear!!! We are so proud of you! What a great mommy to give him the spoon knowing he will make a mess.
ReplyDeleteJennings